A great patio is the crown jewel of any home. It gives you a place to socialize, enjoy the outdoors, and share your personal aesthetic with your neighbors. Learn how to choose patio doors for the perfect finishing touch.
How to Choose Patio Doors
A beautiful set of patio doors can be the gateway to the world for your home. So, when you’re picking a new set, you know it’s important to shop for the best patio doors available. But how do you know that you’re getting the best patio doors for your specific home set-up? Learn how to choose patio doors from the experts, and you’ll find the perfect fit.
Patio Doors 101
Before we discuss what you should look for in patio doors, it might be helpful to review the basics. The following is a list of things it’ll be helpful to know while you’re shopping for your new patio doors:
- Common types of patio doors include sliding doors, which slide open on a track, and French doors, which are attached at either side of the door frame and open inwards or outwards. Other types of patio doors, such as multi-slide doors, may work in larger residential spaces.
- Common materials for patio doors include aluminum, wood, and composites. The material can affect everything from energy efficiency to the door’s overall life span, so pay attention and do your research!
- Common finishes for patio doors range from paint to powder-coated aluminum, with many options in-between. You’ll want to select a finish based on your personal aesthetic, but don’t forget that the finish will also dictate the kind of maintenance you need to do on your patio doors to keep them looking their best.
What Should I Look For When Choosing Patio Doors?
Selecting the right patio doors can be a little bit of an art. You might think that you just want to pick the ones that are the prettiest or the most secure, but think again. The following are the criteria that contractors recommend you consider when purchasing patio doors:
- Security is important. Even though you never want to think about break-ins or other crimes that can take place in your home, the fact is that break-ins do happen. You want a patio door that is as secure as it is beautiful. Look for impact-resistant materials and doors that include safety measures like locking bars. Don’t forget about smaller intruders, too. You’ll want doors that can keep out mice, bugs, and other outdoor pests.
- Be ready for every temperature. If you want to enjoy the scenery year-round, patio doors with large windows are a great way to add light and outdoor views to your home. Be sure to select patio doors that offer insulation against the elements, so you can keep your utility bills down while still enjoying that great view.
- Shop for quality, not quantity. One way to make your shopping process simpler is to buy the cheapest doors that will do the job. And sure, that’ll put some money back in your pocket right away. However, do you want to invest all that time and work into doors that might fail you? Contractors agree that when choosing patio doors, you’ll save yourself a lot of grief by investing in a quality product.
Is learning how to choose patio doors making your head spin? Cut out the confusion by working with our qualified sales team. We’ll help you select the perfect doors for your home.
Are you in need of high-quality window installation? Check out American Window Company. Since 1999, we have offered an extensive collection of high-quality windows, doors, shutters, blinds, and more. We are a small, family-owned business that is committed to providing excellent workmanship and on-time installation. In addition, we are properly licensed and insured to protect our employees and provide our customers with peace of mind. For a free estimate or more information about our products and services, please contact us today.