Do you live in an area with a lot of noise pollution? If so, understanding the sound transmission class (STC) ratings for the windows in your home is essential. And you might be interested to learn that the Serenity Series from AMSCO Windows is known for its high STC ratings. Why do these windows make an excellent investment for anybody who enjoys peace and quiet? Let’s explore.
The Benefits of Serenity Windows’ STC Ratings
When discussing the elements windows protect us from, we often think about cold temperatures and inclement weather. However, a window’s ability to keep unexpected sounds at bay is also incredibly important. If you live in a busy area with a lot of noise, you might wonder how you can be sure your windows will be up to the job. The answer lies in a window’s STC rating.
What Is an STC Rating?
In simple terms, an STC rating relates to the frequency of sound that can penetrate a type of material. STC is a helpful rating system for building materials because it allows engineers to understand what’s required to soundproof a particular space. The higher the STC rating, the less sound can be heard as it passes through the rated material.
- STC Rating of 18 – 28: With this rating, normal speech can clearly be heard through the window. Most standard single-pane windows have an STC rating in the range of 26 to 28.
- STC Rating of 29 – 35: Many double-pane windows have a rating in this range. At this level, only very loud speech can clearly be heard through the window.
- STC Rating of 36 – 40: At this level, loud speech sounds like a hum. Although noises are discernible, they’re dampened significantly. Triple-pane windows often fall in this range.
- STC Rating of 41 – 45: Almost all loud speech and music will be blocked at this level, omitting the bass. To achieve such a high STC rating, you’ll need special acoustic windows.
- STC Rating of 46-50: Windows cannot perform at this high level, which makes even loud music barely discernible. For a rating of 50, you might be looking at a 10″ masonry wall.
The more ambient noise you’re worried about, the better off you’ll be if you purchase windows with a high STC rating.
Serenity Windows’ STC Ratings Make a Difference
If you want a window that will keep unwelcome noises out of your home, you need to invest in quality sound-dampening technology. When it comes to solid construction and soundproofing technology, there’s a lot for a homeowner to love about AMSCO’s Serenity Series:
- Serenity Windows have STC ratings between 40 and 47. This means that they do a great job keeping unexpected sounds out and maintaining your privacy indoors.
- Other windows require acoustical inserts and other add-ons to block noise. However, Serenity Windows are constructed from quality materials and triple-glazed, so they already do the job. No additional purchases or installations are required.
- Serenity Windows come in various shapes and sizes that are an excellent fit for any home or building project. If you need windows that keep sound out and still look great in your home, they’ve got you covered.
Effective sound-dampening is just one of many ways Serenity Windows can benefit your home or business. If you want to learn more about what Serenity Windows can do for you, call our sales team. Or, if you’re interested in an economical alternative that provides exceptional performance, check out the AMSCO Hampton Series.
Are you looking for high-quality sound-dampening windows? Check out American Window Company. Since 1999, we have offered an extensive collection of high-quality windows, doors, shutters, blinds, and more. We are a small, family-owned business that is committed to providing excellent quality and on-time installation. In addition, we are properly licensed and insured to protect our employees and provide our customers with peace of mind. Please get in touch with us today for a free estimate or more information about our products and services.